At Crimson Guitars we have three separate, though complementary, businesses
Master Luthier, Ben Crowe, has built these up over the past 17 years.
The Custom Guitar Building StudioCrimson Guitars is a guitar manufacturer based in Dorset, in the south of England. We have been designing, innovating and hand-building guitars for over fourteen years.
We also hand wind our own specially designed pickups, manufacture luthiers tools and provide training.Our stunning guitars are all unique in their own way.
- The RAW series offers professional level and individually unique guitars at accessible prices, with selected materials and Crimson's pickups.
- The Artist Series is our flagship and includes some of the best looking and feeling guitars you will see.
- The Custom Shop guitars are highly customised versions of those seen in our Artist series, using select woods and sometimes a lot of copper.
- The Master Builds are built and finished by only one luthier, and feature the highest quality components.
None of these guitars leave the factory without hours of setup work and the highest of quality control.
There's a Crimson guitar for everyone.
The core will always be in the studio where a team of highly skilled luthiers and their apprentices build entirely hand made custom guitars in the truest sense of the word. All guitars, basses, and extended range instruments are designed from the ground up with the eventual owner and there are only two rules – the finished instrument must be both perfectly playable and aesthetically pleasing… the rest is up to you from custom inlays and hardware to non-standard materials and neck dimensions, it is all possible.
The team also have extensive experience repairing even the least loved and beaten up guitars and often take on the most challenging repairs and restorations, plus a few standard ﬁxes and set-ups along the way of course.
The Luthiers Tool-making WorkshopsA dedicated team of tool-makers and apprentices form the backbone of this part of the company and between them, they produce, almost entirely by hand, everything from levelling and crowning ﬁles to nut slotting saws and notched straight edges.
The same care and attention that goes into a £3000 boutique guitar comes to bear on our tools and they are designed from the ground up with the luthier in mind. Our toolmakers utilise everything from CNC and milling machines, engineers lathes to good old brute strength and the end results are small, perfectly formed works of functional art.
Guitar Building Training and Tuition - both online and in personOne-on-one training at Crimson Guitars with a top Luthier personally guiding you. Courses range from Guitar Building, Guitar Maintenance & Repair to Inlay 101.
We try to structure each course around the needs and experience of every student.
- We do a 1 or 2 Day Guitar Maintenance & Repair course and a 2 Day Inlay course.
- We also do a 5 or even 6 Day guitar building course, the 6 Day is a staggering 54 hours of hands on work time with your Luthier.
- We have a 2 Week intensive Guitar Building Course
- We also offer customised courses catering to a students needs
We hope that in these courses you can learn to build the electric guitar of your dreams plus learn a whole lot along the way.
We also do a 3-month intensive course where you can learn to build anything you want even an acoustic guitar from start to finish. This course is designed so that when you leave you have the conﬁdance and knowledge to maybe start out on your own, as a guitar builder or repair person, we design the course totally around what you want to learn and achieve.
We even have our own booking agent called Julie who will kindly help you ind somewhere lovely to stay at a great price.
With our studio based in the picturesque rolling fields of Dorset, close to the town of Dorchester, take this opportunity to combine a unique experience with a refreshing holiday.