A 3 Month/12 Week Guitar Building Course under the tutelage of an experienced luthier at Crimson Guitars in the UKUpcoming Course Dates;
- 6th June-26th August 2022 (Full)
- 19th September - 9th December 2022
- 9th January - 31st March 2023
We are closely monitoring the current situation and ongoing Government Guidelines as well as ensuring the School is Covid Secure.
While we acknowledge that as of 19th July 2021 it is no longer law to socially distance or wear face masks we continue to take precautions to ensure the safety of our staff and students for the foreseeable future. This includes:
A Negative Lateral Flow Test on the start day of the course (and possible future tests depending on the length of the course)
We are now taking bookings for 2022/23 onwards.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
This course is designed to meet the needs of the dedicated students who wish to learn all of the skills necessary to start building instruments for a living or as a serious hobby.
Students will aim to build three instruments during their time at Crimson.
We encourage you to build 3 distinct instruments:
- Flat top, flat headstock, bolt-on, fairly basic guitar or bass to learn the basics of instrument design and building without complicating things too much.
- Carve top, angled headstock, set neck more complex guitar or bass to build upon what you learn in build one.
- Totally bespoke, unique instrument taking and building again upon everything learned in your previous builds. This is where we push you to consider more advanced techniques and features and build a real show-stopper.
This is an opportunity to gain all of the skills potential employers are looking for in a new Luthier.
Students will aim to leave with three completed builds under their belt encompassing a variety of techniques in order to cover the widest range of techniques possible.
- Weeks one and two - Health and safety, tool and machinery use, basic joinery. Build a basic flat top instrument perhaps inspired by a t-style, going over each element carefully to ensure retention and comprehension.
- Weeks three through six – Build your second instrument building upon the first, learning new techniques and perfecting old ones as you go. We recommend something like a singlecut style to base this build off.
- Weeks Seven through Twelve - Build your bespoke instrument. Take the skills learned during the previous two guitars and perfect them while learning some advanced construction and design techniques.
Learn these skills in a fully outfitted workshop experienced team guiding you through each and every process. We are here to answer all of your questions and ensure you leave with the knowledge needed to repeat the procedures covered on any instrument.
Timbers and hardware can be purchased through us at an additional cost to the course. You may of course choose to bring your own materials and hardware if you wish.
Your days with us will begin at 9 am with coffee/tea and lunch breaks, and end at 5 pm. You are welcome to come in up to 15 minutes before the day starts to get some tea or coffee before the busy day ahead, but we cannot let students into the workshop before 8:45 due to health and safety reasons.
While there are local shops and pubs within a 10-minute drive of Crimson Guitars, most students bring a packed lunch, and this is what we recommend.
With our studio based in the picturesque rolling fields of Dorset, close to the town of Dorchester, take this opportunity to combine a unique experience with a refreshing holiday.
Should you require accommodation during your course we have a dedicated booking agent who, for a small fee, will be able to help you.
Please get in touch (firstname.lastname@example.org) attention Rikki for more information and to let us know how we can help you be the best guitar maker you can be.
Check out our YouTube channel for more videos of guitar-building tutorials and demo videos.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.